Vintage 1930s bishop-sleeved celestial silk chiffon gown
Spectacular 1930s cream silk chiffon gown with billowing bishop sleeves and tiny silver star studs sprinkled across the neckline and shoulders. Defined puffed shoulders with small shoulder pads. Floor length with short train in back. Closes with a metal front zipper. Lined in a second chiffon layer but still slightly sheer and a slip may be desired. Very Hedy Lamarr in Ziegfeld Girl. PLEASE NOTE: This dress has some (mainly cosmetic) condition issues. Please read full description and view all photos prior to making final sale purchase. I have done my best to represent the garment as accurately as possible, but if there are any questions, please email me at email@example.com.
SIZE: Recommended for size extra-small to small. Please refer to exact measurements below.
MEASUREMENTS: 32”-34” bust, 26” waist, free hip, 52” long from shoulder to hem in front, approx 66” from shoulder to bottom of train in back, 14” long from shoulder to waist, 39” long from waist to hem in front, 13” from shoulder to shoulder, 23.5” long sleeve from shoulder, about 6” wrist circumference at cuffs.
MATERIAL: assuming silk chiffon
CONDITION: fair to good. Such a gown would normally be priced closer to $800 but I am selling it as-is and “at cost” — which means that I am selling it for exactly what I paid, plus a small margin to cover Shopify or PayPal transaction fees. I am not making a profit from selling this garment.
Please refer to the photos for closeups of the overt cosmetic issues this dress has. For a comprehensive written description please refer to the below list:
- Right sleeve: red marks close to wrist cuff, ranging in size from pindot to 0.25”. The fullness of the sleeve helps to hide the marks. Missing one button at cuff.
- Left sleeve: cluster of three pindot-sized marks near the cuff. Again, the pleats in the sleeve aid in camouflaging the blemishes.
- Both sleeves have a bit of greyish discolouration, possibly from the metal in the star studs.
- Bodice: two tiny red rust marks on left front bodice.
- Front of skirt: 0.25” hole at front hem on the right side.
- Back of skirt: two approx 1” diameter marks on the hem of the train. A third 1” diameter much more faint mark a couple inches apart, also on the hem of the train.
The marks MIGHT come out, but my dry cleaner won’t touch it and I am too wary of the silk chiffon and what might happen to all those studs if they got wet.
Even with its flaws, this dress is still a once-in-a-lifetime find that is sturdy, structurally intact, wearable and absolutely breathtaking. It would have pride of place among any collector’s treasured finds.